The earliest bus was a horse drawn bus
There were all manner of improvements to make daily life easier. The first bus service to Little Chester from the centre of Derby to the Coach and Horse had begun in 1903 as Derby Corporation route no. 3; the earlier Derby Omnibus Company came only as far as the Bridge Inn en-route to the Nottingham Road. It was a horse drawn bus. Clifford Burton wrote,
We can recall the driver, Mr. Whittaker, with his magnificent white beard, sitting aloft in the driving seat. It was a rare thrill to be lifted up to share his high seat on a trip to town. The 'bus' had a rear entrance and passengers sat facing each other on each side. Signals to stop and start were from a whistle blown by the conductor. The horse responded quickly to the signals. Local imps soon became aware of this and many an unscheduled stop was caused by the lads running alongside and blowing a whistle, much to the fury of the man in charge of the vehicle.
No tramways were laid to Little Chester so the horse drawn bus service lasted until May 1917 .
[A City Within a City, Little Chester Derby, AD80 - AD2000, by Joan D'Arcy, P.36]